Sincerely, the English Lake District


As I read through William Wordsworth's poem "I wandered lonely as a cloud," I was hit with vivid imagery of daffodils dancing in the lake breeze. His words sung of a scene so distant to me, and yet I could easily transport myself to the English Lake District.

I haven't read much of Wordsworth's poetry before, and that is quite ironic considering that I have been to a former home of his; in fact, I even wrote poetry of my own while exploring the terraced landscaping of Rydal Mount. While Wordsworth had not lived in this particular house at the time of writing this poem, I remember hearing of his love for nature and how it inspired much of his work. Of course, the beauty of his home and the surrounding view (including the breathtaking Windermere Lake peeking through greenery) inspired my very own piece that won my tour group's little poetry contest.

While at the time I was greatly unfamiliar with his work, I like to think I have my own connection to Wordsworth - as a poet as well as a nature enthusiast. Much of my own work has drawn from the natural beauty of the world, while I may never write anything quite as excellent as the following:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

I can certainly aspire to one day write something that strikes the perfectly idyllic tone he emulates in his poetry.

You can, of course, search for an image of his home at Rydal Mount quite easily. But for the sake of my small anecdote, please enjoy this picture taken by yours truly. While many travel memories seem to vanish as time passes, I think it will be quite difficult to lose this one. After all, how many hold the privilege of saying they could, for a time, write in a fraction of the perspective of William Wordsworth?






Comments

Popular Posts